Sunday, December 4, 2011

Volcano Fun



I was making sauce this afternoon and the boys were looking for something to do.  So I taught them how to make salt dough and turn it into an exploding volcano.  My brother Joe and I played with vinegar, baking soda, clay and plastic green army men for hours when we were kids.
Well, at least until the vinegar ran out.
 I loved sharing this activity with my boys.


Salt dough
 1cup salt
2 cups flour
1 cup warm water


Go in your recycling bin and find a container to use for your volcano.
Mold dough around container.


Ideally, wait a day for the dough to harden.  
We didn't wait and used it right away.  
Our volcano is in a box drying now for next time.


Add 1 T baking soda, 1 squirt of food coloring and enough vinegar to make it bubble.  
As you can see, we tried out all of the colors.  Green was our favorite.
Have fun! 


No comments:

Post a Comment