Thursday, October 27, 2011

Vegetable Cheddar Soup with a Jack-o'-Lantern Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadilla

With Halloween coming up I am starting to feel festive.  Besides, who wouldn't want to eat anything shaped like a Jack-o'-Lantern?  It definitely made my boys smile.  This soup was super easy to make.  

Vegetable Cheddar Soup



  
Tuesday is salad bar night in our house, so for my soup I dumped all the leftover veggies in a pot and sauteed them with a little extra virgin olive oil.  I added about 1/8 cup whole wheat flour to the veggies after they were sauteed.  Next I combined about 1/2 a bag of sharp cheddar cheese and 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock to the veggies.   Lastly I added 1 cup of skim milk and some salt and pepper.  
It was that easy! 

Jack-o'-Lantern Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadilla

  


Take 2 whole wheat tortillas.  Cut out a pumpkin shape laying one on top of the other.  Remove the top tortilla and cut out eyes and a mouth.  You can fill then with whatever you like.  I filled mine with sweet potato, black beans, fresh chopped cilantro and a little cheddar cheese.  Place on a baking sheet and put in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Cute and delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment